A vacation is the perfect time to get away from work, relax in the sun or hit the slopes, eat good food, catch up on a good book, or just sleep in. Whether a vacation doesn’t fit in the budget or COVID has caused you to change your plans, a staycation is the perfect getaway without having to get away!
What is a staycation?
A staycation is a vacation without having to leave the house. You can skip those expensive and germy flights and hotels and stay in your own bed. You’re letting go of your routine and getting away by going nowhere at all.
How do you take a staycation?
Just like a normal vacation, you can leave your work at the door, spend time with your loved ones, or read that book you’ve been meaning to read. Actually use that time off and avoid working from home. Don’t check your emails or worry about what you’re missing in the office, or else it’s going to feel like a normal week.
How to get ready for a Staycation:
One of the best parts about going on vacation is a change of scenery. Being in a new environment can really help you relax. While you may be able to book a hotel or an Airbnb for a couple nights, the perk of a staycation is that you don’t have to spend that money if you don’t want to. You can turn your house into your own little getaway with just a few simple changes.
- Make a budget. Even with a staycation, you will probably need a budget to stay on track. Plan for your food and drinks and your activities for the week. It doesn’t have to be stressful and can be a great way to plan what things you want to do alone or with your partner(s)/friends/kids!
- Clean up! When you go to a hotel, everything is clean and ready for you. Walking into a messy space isn’t relaxing for anybody.
- Get out clean bedding. Make your bed with your nice, clean sheets and pillow cases. If you have a different set of comforters, those could be a great little change too!
- Lay out clean towels. Another nice touch is having clean, fluffy towels ready for you when you step out of the shower.
- Put out some flowers and candles. Make your space look and smell a little dressed up for your relaxing weekend.
- Lay out books that you’ve been wanting to read. With some time off, you might finally get around to reading them!
- Go shopping. Get all of your food, snacks, etc. for your staycation. That way, everything is already “provided” when you need it and you can avoid taking those pesky trips to the grocery store.
- Put out snacks and drinks. When you walk into a hotel room, it’s always fun to see the mini bar or the snack area in the lobby filled with snacks that are way too expensive. You can create your own snack and drink bar with whatever you like!
- Pull out your robes or other comfy clothes. Getting out of your routine includes getting out of your work clothes!
- Use the fancy dishes. You can pretend you’ve ordered room service or gone down to the hotel restaurant for dinner with some fancier dishware.
- Play background music. Sometimes having a relaxing soundtrack is just the thing to get you in the mood.
- Make an itinerary. If you really want to get into it, just like any travel agent, they will provide an itinerary with all of your activities for the trip. If you want to stick to a schedule of activities, this will be a great start to your staycation.
Ideas for Your Staycation
- Spa day
- Movie night
- Fancy Dinner
- Date night
- Read a book
- Take a day trip
- Explore your city
- Camp in your yard (or inside!)
- Go to a museum
- See a movie at the theater
- DIY Projects
- Bring the waterpark to you
- Have a bonfire
- Go on a picnic
- Have your own wine tasting
- Make your own cocktails
- Movie-night Themed Dinner
- Game night
- Paint night
- Theme nights
- Go to a hotel or AirBNB for a night or two
- Go bowling
- Make a blanket fort
- HAVE FUN!
Whether you’re going on vacation or staying home, you can still have an amazing time. And, with all of these ideas in your repertoire, you are ready to have to perfect Staycation this year!